Selected references used in this compilation include, but are
not limited to, and in no particular order:
- Buick, Peter and Vic Lennard, Music
Technology Reference Book. PC Publishing, Tonbridge, Kent, UK,
If you have any use at all for this
dictionary, you need one of these. Several, in fact.
- Evans, Alvis J., Making Sense of Sound:
The Basics of Audio Theory and Technology. Prompt Publications,
Indianapolis, IN, 1992 (2nd Ed.)
- Petersen, George and Steve Oppenheimer,
Tech Terms: A Practical Dictionary for Audio and Music
Production. EMBooks, Emeryville, CA, 1993.
- White, Glenn D, The Audio Dictionary.
University of Washington Press, Seattle, 1991 (2nd ed.) Very technical
and very good. Excellent graphics, excellent sense of humor, excellent
appendices. Only criticism: needs to be updated to include digital music,
- Wilkie, Godric. The Studio Musicians
Jargonbuster. Musonix Publishing, London, 1993. A good,
entertaining, introductory dictionary.
- Cummings, David, Ed., The Hutchinson
Encyclopedia of Music. Helicon Publishing, Ltd., Oxford, England,
- Sinclair, Ian R. Introducing Digital
Audio: CD, DAT and Sampling. PC Publishing, Tonbridge, Kent, UK,
1988 and 1992. Extremely technical, extremely detailed explication of CD
and DAT formats, standards, and production.
- Wadhams, Wayne. Dictionary of Music
Production and Engineering Terminology. Schirmer Books, New York,
1988. Basically a good book, especially for anyone contemplating doing
sound-for-film. Unfortunately, there are lots of errors, the book is
poorly cross-referenced, and in parts, just inscrutable.
- "Music & Computers" Magazine.
Miller Freeman, Inc., San Francisco, CA. 94107.
- "Keyboard" Magazine. Keyboard, San
Mateo, CA. 94402.
- "Mix" Magazine. 6400 Hollis St.,
#12, Emeryville, CA 94608, especially "Whats a Binky?" March,
April, and June 1999, by Larry Blake.
- "Recording" Magazine. Music Maker
Publications, Inc., 7318 Topanga Canyon Blvd., Suite 200, Canoga Park, CA
- "Sound on Sound" Magazine. Media
House, Burrel Road, St. Ives, Cambs. UK, PE17 4LE.
- "Sound on Stage" Magazine. Media
House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambs. UK, CB3 8SQ.
- Timeline. SMPTE Made Simple. Timeline
Vista, USA. 1996. Such that SMPTE timecode can ever be simple, I
guess this is it.
- White, Paul. The Sound on Sound Book of
Music Technology: A Survivors Guide. Sanctuary Publishing Ltd.,